Wednesday, January 17, 2007

When Was The Last Time You Left Your Country?

When we were in Las Vegas last year, a taxi driver who we got talking to, told us that only about twenty per cent of all Americans have passports.

I asked him why he thought that was, and his answer was that most Americans felt that they had everything they needed in their country, so why go somewhere else? Oooookay then.

I’m sure this isn’t true for everyone, but what other reasons are there for people not actually owning a valid passport? Even if they can’t afford to travel.

If what the taxi drive says is true, then surely that makes America a very insular country. (yes, I realise you guys have had this charge levied at you many a time, so bear with me.)

I know at least two Americans who don’t have a passport, and were quite proud of the fact.

Personally, I think it’s weird.

I can’t imagine not experiencing other countries, other cultures, other ways of life.

So, come on fess up, how many of you guys own a valid passport? Also, when was the last time you left your country?

Incidentally, you don’t have to be an American to answer.