Tuesday, July 19, 2005

Step-Siblings Falling In Love In Romance Books.. Is It Yucky For You?

I’ve read many books where the step-brother and step sister got it together, and I must admit, I’ve never really had a problem with any of them. The Mills and Boon Modern and Tender Romances that I sometimes read are littered with this particular plot device (as well as the dastardly secret baby plots *g*).

I was reading a story in an EC anthology called Passionate Hearts last night when I came across such a story. Apart from the fact that the heroine was called Vicky Vale (spooky Batman connection), the story was ok, it didn’t blow me away, but I certainly didn’t want to toss it either.

I think the author handled it quite well, because the two step-siblings had never met before, so it never actually entered my head that it could be considered incest by people, less liberal than myself.

That is, until I saw a a programme advertised on TV about step-siblings falling in love in real life. I think the programme was dealing with the issue of what the future would hold for such unions.

It got me to thinking, what if the step-brother and step-sister featured in the romance story, were actually brought up together? Does that make for a higher ewww factor, or would it not bother you either way?

I recall reading Christine Balint’s ‘The Salt Letters’ a few years ago. The book featured a romance between Sarah, the heroine, and Richard, who was her first cousin. I remember constantly skipping the parts where they kissed. The intimate scenes totally icked me out.

Personally, the step-brother/step-sister romance has never been an issue for me. I think this is due to the lack of real blood connection.

As for kissing cousins, yuck, yuck, yuck! Historically I know that it used to happen a lot, but knowing that doesn’t make it more palatable for me to digest.

So what are your thoughts on the matter?